9/27/2004

 

Overkill?



I watched House of the Dead last night, and I am extremely disappointed. I actually purchased this DVD a couple of days ago with this justification: A zombie movie cannot, no matter how hokey or plotless, be boring or unwatchable. I WAS WRONG! House of the Dead is filled with overused cliches of cliches, horrible acting, and Matrix-style fight scenes that go for 20 minutes or more (these scenes don't even compare to the genius of the Matrix by the way). The worst part about this movie is the clips of the old SEGA game House of the Dead placed "strategically" fifty thousand places throughout the movie. I don't know how anybody thought this would help the movie, but it doesn't. Maybe SEGA forced them to use game clips as part of the license agreement. All I know is that they make this movie fall short of "Horror", which is, what I assume they were going for. Blair Witch was scarier than this movie, and they didn't even show the witches! Showing the zombies in this movie may have been a mistake anyway. These zombies looked like they bought Halloween costumes and had their moms do their makeup. It was horrible. So unbelievable that it was distracting. There was no comparison to any new zombie movies such as the remake of Dawn of the Dead. Even Romero's Day of the Dead from 1985 was a better visual experience than this one. I am so disappointed in this movie. I really thought it was going to be great, and if you know me, or have read my previous reviews of movies or music, you know that it had to be really bad for me to write a negative review. I usually don't find too much wrong with movies. I don't think I have had anything negative to say about any movie on this blog until now. DO NOT rent this movie.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?